Monday, July 07, 2008

 

On the Radar

Oh, my poor, poor savings account. I already own Wii Fit and Rock Band and Super Smash Brothers Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy. I have vast treasure troves of Wii Ware and Virtual Console, and that's not even considering my vault of games for systems stretching back four generations.

And yet, no matter how much I have, it seems like there's always room for more.

So here's a quick look at some of the titles for the Wii that I have my eye on. And this is just this year. God help me in 2009.

Active Life: Outdoor Challenge

This one came out of nowhere. I was browsing the Nintendo Channel at random, spotted this game with a weird title on the list, saw it had a video, and decided to give it a watch. My pants were charmed straight off. Yes, it's yet another minigame compilation for the Wii, but so fucking what? I bought the system for active games, dammit, and so far only Wii Sports, Wii Fit, and Wario Ware seem to get that. The games in Outdoor Challenge look like they have the potential to be cool, but much more interesting is watching the people playing them. That play pad looks deliciously versatile, and single-pad multiplayer is an enticing proposition. The promise of an entire series of games to support it sweetens the deal considerably.

Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People

Being a long-time Homestar Runner fan, this one was pretty much a given. Frankly, the footage I've seen so far doesn't give me much hope for maintaining the humor of The Brothers Chaps in interactive 3D form, but I'll give it a go for old time's sake. And for the Videlectrix guys.

Sam & Max Season One

After playing the first Phoenix Wright game, I've become somewhat enamored with the idea of equating interactive fiction with television series. I've heard nothing but good things about Sam & Max on PC. Basically, I just want to see what all the fuss is about.

We Love Golf!

Wii Sports proved one thing to me -- I would love a motion-sensitive golf game. The reviews I've heard so far have made me hesitant to try one of the golf games already available for the Wii. But this game's got quite a pedigree -- from the folks who made Hot Shots Golf and Mario Golf, and featuring Capcom characters like Apollo Justice. If anyone can get a golf game right on the Wii, it'll be these folks.

Order Up!

This could be a Cooking Mama killer. If they can manage the same robust cooking gameplay that made Mama so charming, and enhance it with the features I've been craving -- random orders, business modeling, room for improvisation -- then this'll be the Rock Band of cooking games.

Samba de Amigo

When I heard about the Wii, the first thing that came to my mind was Samba de Amigo. Now that it's coming true, I almost feel like it's my duty to pick this one up. I'm hesitant for a number of reasons. Are the controls natural? Will it have all of the old songs? What the hell is this about paid download content? One thing is for sure though -- I've got to try it.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?